Many insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover weight loss surgery. However, insurance plan coverage varies, so it is important to examine the coverage provided by your plan.
At a seminar you will learn more about how to find out the answers to your coverage questions, but you can also contact your insurance carrier to find more information about your coverage by asking the following questions:
- Is bariatric surgery, or weight loss surgery, a covered procedure under my plan?
- What procedures, specifically, are covered?
- What are the coverage requirements for my plan?
Some common coverage requirements may include:
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than 40 or BMI greater than 35 with obesity related health issues. Find out what your BMI is here.
- Participation in a physician supervised diet and exercise plan.